"Son, we've chosen a hard road in this life. But given that you've now made your choice to follow in my footsteps, sit on down there and let me tell you a few things"
"Sure Dad"
"The life of a poker player is not a normal one. You'll go weeks without seeing daylight. Your friends won't be able to comprehend the choices you've made and will look upon you as, at best, some kind of eccentric lunatic. At worst they'll see you as some kind of degenerate freak and will actively seek to distance themselves from you. Women will come and go but, being naturally domestic creatures, there will inevitably come a day when they ask you to make a choice between them and the game. Remember your mother son? I don't"
"I remember she was pretty Dad, real pretty"
"She sure was son. Friendship is another thing that you'll have to forego. You'll meet many fine people at the felt son but always remember they would step over your corpse to get their hands on your bankroll. And I wouldn't have it any other way son. Never stake another player, never let them hold your roll. You can't trust a man who routinely lies for a living"
"Yes sir"
"I once played against Doyle Brunson son, did I ever tell you that? And at the end of the game, he shook my hand and commended me on my discipline. I wasn't anywhere near the best player at that table but I still walked away a big winner. And you know why? I held my discipline, I waited my time and, when my moment came, I made the most of it. That's what being a poker player is all about"
"I hear you Dad"
"Yup, discipline is the key. I've seen too many great players go broke through giving in to their worst inner impulses - craps, sports betting, drugs. Just look at poor Stuey Ungar, greatest player I ever saw - died face down in his own vomit and all because he had no discipline. We don't want that son, do we?"
"No sir"
"Yeah, when you become a poker player, you become truly your own man. You don't have to answer to nobody, you don't pay no taxes, you don't say 'sir' to no man, you go where you want, when you want. You are a modern day cowboy. You like the sound of that son?"
"I sure do Dad, I sure do"
"Well OK then, let's get started. Are you ready for it son? You ready for Vegas?"
"I sure am Dad"
"Good boy. You never looked like you belonged in that Junior Infants class anyways"
el S
Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment